HVU CURRENT PROJECTS - II
3). THE ORPHANS AND OTHER VULNERABLE CHILDREN (OVC) PROJECT
a) Project Overview
- This project targets Orphans and other Vulnerable Children (OVC) aged 0-17 years, affected and infected with HIV/AIDS, from two sub-counties of Bukuya and Kiganda, Mubende District, Central Uganda. The children are supported with six core program areas which include; economic strengthening, food and nutrition security, healthcare, water, sanitation and shelter, education support, child protection and legal support and psychosocial support cutting across. The beneficiaries are selected from households with high vulnerability and there must be at least one child who is HIV positive (index client). These are thoroughly assessed to select the critically needy children.
- The project began on January 3, 2016 and will end on January 3, 2021 (5-year project) targeting 2,500 critically needy children -17 years including their caregivers.
b) Mid Term Achievements
- 474 children have so far been reached with the whole core package. They have graduated and their caregivers have been economically empowered for sustainability purposes.
- The HIV positive beneficiaries and their caregivers have been counseled and the community sensitized to address the challenges of HIV related stigma and discrimination. The beneficiaries are now stress free and their viral load has been considerably suppressed. They now appear stronger and healthier. Ther OVC caregivers have been supported to form the Village Savings and Loan Association (VSLA) where they are encouraged to save, invest and manage income.
- The households are monitored quarterly to check on the household vulnerability reduction levels before graduation after one year.